Wednesday 3 January 2018

Globe and Mail Cryptic 20100103

Wednesday January 03, 2018

Difficulty: medium



Skipping obvious ones; definitions underlined.

Across

20. Take cover
Insure [cryptic?]: Wasn't certain about this answer. To cover is to insure perhaps. But to take isn't to insure as far as I can see, and "take cover" doesn't sound like a definition for insure either. Maybe take coverage? Am I missing something?


Down

3. Republic is setting up a king
Israel [charade]: is + rael (king Lear backwards)

4. Naughty nun's feat is to unzip!
Unfasten [anagram]: I thought this one was funny :) Naughty nuns unzipping! Maybe I just have a puerile sense of humour.

5. Wild capers may get you into one
Scrape [cryptic]: I was wondering how capers could get you into a scrape, but then I figured out it's not what you put on smoked salmon, but "capers" as in pranks or robberies.

6. Sad boy seen when a vessel is about to leave
Blue Peter [double def]: Never heard of a Blue Peter. Maybe Brits are more familiar with it due to the long running kid's TV show. It's a nautical symbol/flag that means the ship is ready to sail.






14. Somehow ends Red China
Dresden [anagram]: I have never heard of Dresden china, but it seems to be the oldest and maybe most famous in Europe, also called Meissen porcelain.



No comments:

Post a Comment