Thursday 4 January 2018

Globe and Mail Cryptic 20100104

Thursday January 04, 2018

Difficulty: medium-hard

Trouble in north-west corner: couldn't get detached, touches, or cables-length



Skipping obvious ones; definitions underlined.

Across

1. Separated, being indifferent
Detached [double def]: I had divorced first. Got it once I figured out the cross from "touches".

5. Standard feature of Saturn or Mars
Norm [hidden word]

17. They help people grow better
Green fingers [cryptic]: Here of course they're called "green thumbs".


Down

2. Appeals emotionally for a loan
Touches [cryptic/double def?]: For some reason I couldn't come up with "touches" for (asking for) loans. I have read enough Wodehouse to be very familiar with the term. But I guess I don't use it myself, so it didn't occur to me.

3. Measure how many words in a telegram?
Cables length [double def]: A "cable's length" is a nautical measure (720ft US or 608ft UK). I didn't remember a telegram was called a cable. I knew it, but don't use it (like "touch" above). Telegrams are before my time.



No comments:

Post a Comment