Tuesday 9 January 2018

Globe and Mail Cryptic 20180108

Monday January 08, 2018

Difficulty: hard

Several tough ones for me I didn't get: 23A, 26A, 21D, 22D. Guessed, but had to look up 9A and 27A.



Skipping obvious ones; definitions underlined.

Across

1. Many fish are found in shallow water
Shoal [double def]: A shoal is a shallow area in water like a sandbar. It is also a name for a school of fish.

9. Game brings Harry and mother together
Halma [charade]: I was not familiar with this game.












23. They blow, as a tornado does apparently
Winds [cryptic]: I couldn't get this one. Winds blow and torandos wind (twist).

26. A lofty approach, of course
Chip shot [cryptic]: I should have got this one. I had the "o" from a cross, and I was thinking "iron", so I was on the right track, recognizing "course" = gold course.

27. Do impressive work as a huntsman?
Chase [cryptic]: Guessed "chase". Apparently it can also mean "to ornament (metal) by engraving or embossing."


Down

14. Satanic food in which there's no good
Devilish [cryptic]: I get the satanic part, but not sure what the rest means. What food has no good? Devilfish?

21. He seems to be against splitting the profit
Gavin [charade]: against (v = versus) splitting (within) profit (gain)

22. Give a rise to one in the army
Hoist [charade]: one (i) in the army (host)

No comments:

Post a Comment